DESK REVIEWS | 04.02.01.04. Are there any targets or milestones for monitoring implementation included? What do these encompass?
DESK REVIEW | 04.02.01.04. Are there any targets or milestones for monitoring implementation included? What do these encompass?
There are several indicators to measure output for each of the policy action steps. Monitoring and evaluation of the policy implementation is planned to be conducted through collaboration of the central government with relevant sectors, provincial and district governments and with relevant governmental departments, as well as through the National Commission of Older People (Komisi Nasional Lanjut Usia).
Monitoring and evaluation of technical aspects of the implementation is the responsibility of Komisi Nasional Lanjut Usia, professional organisation, academics, NGO, and relevant sectors. The results of these should advise on the improvement of the policy (Ministry of Health Republic of Indonesia, 2015b). However, the plan does not mention specific time milestones that could be monitored, and we have learnt informally that the Komisi Nasional Lanjut Usia is currently inactive.
Ministry of Health Republic of Indonesia. (2015b). National Strategy: Management of Alzheimer and Other Dementia Diseases: Towards Healthy and Productive Older Persons. Ministry of Health Republic of Indonesia.
The plan only indicates strategies and lines of action. However, there are some strategies that comply with the WHO and PAHO recommendations for action plans on dementia, which are mentioned in the Position Statement and Report of the National Institute of Geriatrics (INGER) and the National Academy of Medicine (Academia Nacional de Medicina de México, 2017), such as these:
- Development of evidence-based data created through the compilation of available national evidence on the epidemiology and burden of dementia, based on information from the Mexican Health & Aging Study (Wong et al., 2017), The 10/66 Dementia Research Group study (Prina et al., 2017), and the 2012 National Health and Nutrition Survey (Romero-Martínez et al., 2013).
- Development of education programs for health professionals in primary care, such as the Alzheimer’s and dementias courses for health professionals, by the National Institute of Geriatrics.
- Generate and disseminate information and materials for primary carers.
- Specialised trainings in cognitive aging and dementias at the National Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery, the specialty in Geriatric Neurology taught at the National Institute of Medical Sciences and Nutrition, and the course in Psycho-geriatrics taught at the National Institute of Psychiatry.
- Clinical practice guidelines, two clinical practice guidelines for dementia from Secretary of Health, one for Alzheimer’s disease and one for Vascular dementia, with the aim of contributing to increase the quality and effectiveness of medical dementia care.
Academia Nacional de Medicina de México. (2017). La Enfermedad de Alzheimer y otras demencias como problema nacional de salud. Documento de postura (L. Robledo, Maria. Peña, Paloma. Rojas, & A. Martinez, Eds.; 1a edición). Intersistemas. https://www.anmm.org.mx/publicaciones/ultimas_publicaciones/ANM-ALZHEIMER.pdf
Prina, A. M., Acosta, D., Acosta, I., Guerra, M., Huang, Y., Jotheeswaran, A. T., Jimenez-Velazquez, I. Z., Liu, Z., Llibre Rodriguez, J. J., Salas, A., Sosa, A. L., Williams, J. D., & Prince, M. (2017). Cohort Profile: The 10/66 study. International Journal of Epidemiology, 46(2), 406–406i. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyw056
Romero-Martínez, M., Shamah-Levy, T., Franco-Núñez, A., Villalpando, S., Cuevas-Nasu, L., Pablo Gutiérrez, J., & Rivera-Dommarco, J. (2013). Encuesta nacional de salud y nutrición 2012: diseño y cobertura. [National Health and Nutrition Survey 2012: design and coverage]. Salud Publica Mex, 55(2), S332-S340 (in Spanish). https://doi.org/10.21149/spm.v55s2.5132
Wong, R., Michaels-Obregon, A., & Palloni, A. (2017). Cohort Profile: The Mexican Health and Aging Study (MHAS). International Journal of Epidemiology, 46(2), e2. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyu263